The Brick and the Bridge--Part 1 the Bridge

Perhaps the best indication of the historic background of Huffman Mill is the covered bridge crossing the Anderson Creek and the red brick farmhouse that was the home for many generations of Huffman's from the early 1800's well into the late 20th century.  As children we all looked forward with anticipation to visiting our grandparents and enjoying the wonders of Spencer and Perry Counties.  Whether it was the fried chicken on Sunday or the swimming in the Anderson Creek, the memories will always be there--even as they grow fuzzy with age!  I can remember how we would often "announce" our arrival with my father turning on the siren (he was an Indiana State Policeman) in his police car when we went through the bridge as we approached from Bristow.  Although the road is no longer gravel, the trip is just as wonderful today, with the overhanging hardwood trees and occasional fields often punctuated with wild turkeys as we approach the bridge (actually, the wild turkeys are a recent event, having been reintroduced since my childhood).









I confess that I never appreciated the length of the bridge until I started making panoramic photographs.  The image below was made from 12 individual photos taken from the "new" concrete bridge located just 50 feet downstream from the covered bridge.   When I first stitched it together I thought I had done something wrong, but it is as long as it looks!  The bridge is actually 150 feet long.



The bridge was built in 1864 by William T. Washer at a cost of $5,700.  Made entirely of yellow poplar it is somewhat unique in that it is one of only a few that uses the “modified Burr arch” construction.  In this construction the vertical posts are inclined away from the center.   According to the Indiana Covered Bridge Society the Huffman Mill Bridge is unique because the trusses were all made locally.

I would hate to guess how many photographs I have taken of the bridge through the years.  I present a few of my favorites below.

The above photo was taken in 2008, after the new bridge was constructed. Traffic is now restricted to pedestrian traffic only.


This photo was taken when the road was mostly an oiled gravel road--probably about 1970.  The next photo shows that the bridge is a wonderful backdrop for gatherings of the "Huffman Clan".


The final two bridge photos show the interior with the angled trusses and evidence that the bridge has suffered through more than its share of graffiti and bad music!



No comments:

Post a Comment